Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Strawberry Almond and Feta Salad


My all time favorite salad has to be this one.  I remember always seeing recipes for strawberry spinach salads and I just thought that was too weird . . . fruit with my lettuce, yuck!  Then, my sister made it at my baby shower and I couldn't get enough.  After trying out a few variations of this recipe, I finally perfected my favorite way of doing it, plus it's a little healthier, because I omit the sugar in the dressing and I don't candy my pecans or almonds.

Ingredients for 1 serving:
Salad
  • 1 handful of fresh spinach
  • 1 handful of favorite lettuce
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 1/2 Fuji apple, diced into large chunks (optional.  I just do this when I'm having it for lunch and to make it a little more filling)
  • 1 handful of strawberries, sliced
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (or pecans)
  • 1/8 cup feta cheese
Dressing (these measurements get small, because I had to reduce it down to one serving.  I usually quadruple this if it's for a large family size salad.)
  • 1/2 Tbsp.  sesame seeds, toasted
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • Pinch of paprika
  • 2 drops of Worcestershire sauce (approx. 1/16 of a teaspoon)
  • 1 strawberry
 
Combine all your salad ingredients in a bowl.  To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients EXCEPT for the sesame seeds in a blender or magic bullet.  Blend until smooth.  Add the sesame seeds and pour over salad.
 
 

 This is such a filling salad, I don't even miss my breads or pastas.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment