Sunday, March 18, 2012

Frozen Minced Garlic

Probably one of my favorite ingredients to cook with is freshly minced garlic, but I hate having to peel the garlic and mince it every single time I'm cooking. So when my mom showed me how she freezes her preminced garlic ahead of time, I was wondering why I wasn't doing this for years already!
So the first thing you need to do is grab a few garlic bulbs, a bowl, a trash bag, a small knife, and a movie. I normally do at least 4 garlic bulbs at a time and pop in a movie so it doesn't seem quite as tedious. Plus, when your done, you won't have to do it again for awhile. I would do at least two garlic bulbs at a time, because it fits nicely in a quart size freezer bag.
So start peeling and just know it will all be worth it! (I'm using two garlic bulbs in these pictures)
*If you don't mind spending the money and don't have time to peel the garlic, Sam's club sells a huge container with peeled garlic cloves ready to go!
Put your garlic cloves in a food processor and turn on.
Stop every now and then to scrap the sides of the container and continue until the garlic is finely minced or however you prefer.
Scoop the minced garlic into a quart-size freezer ziploc bag.
Starting at the bottom, flatten the garlic evenly throughout the ziploc bag. Try to get all the air pockets out.
When your done, the garlic should be spread out really thin.
Then, all you need to do is lay it flat in your freezer and when the garlic is frozen, break off a little piece whenever a recipe calls for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment