Macaroni and Cheese is pretty much every kids favorite, so when I want to try and sneak in a few vegetables for the day, I always turn to this delicious dish.
I originally got a Green Mac and Cheese recipe off of weelicious.com. It's really tasty, but it definitely is more like Broccoli Mac and Cheese. So, I tweaked the recipe so that it had a more basic Mac and Cheese flavor with hidden cauliflower. Then, I added mushrooms and peas, just because we like eating it that way.
Here are the ingredients I used:
- 10 oz noodles (I used Tirali noodles, just to change it up. Jumbo twisted elbow noodles are always fun too.)
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped into large chunks
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, diced small (if you are trying to hide it)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, put your cauliflower in a microwavable safe bowl and cover with some water. Microwave for 3 minutes on high. Drain the water and place in magic bullet/food processor. Add the milk. Blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Stir in the flour until smooth. Slowly add the milk/cauliflower mixture and mushrooms. Bring to a slight boil and reduce to a simmer until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Drain the pasta. Add the pasta, gruyere cheese, and peas to the sauce. Stir and heat through.
Even if you don't like cauliflower, you should try this. The cheese flavor is so strong, you can't even taste it. Be brave . . . I'm talking to you Donna :)