Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza

My husband and I have decided to go on a low-carb "lifestlye" change.  We are following one diet that keeps their carbs under 30g a day, which is not very much considering how much bread and pasta we use to eat.  This has forced us to get a little bit more daring and try new recipes, thus PINTEREST becomes our life saver!  I kept seeing these cauliflower pizza dough recipes and was a little curious.  So, we finally tried it out last Friday and it was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!  My husband, Dylan, went as far as to say "it is better than a Papa Johns Pizza" . . . I'm not going to completely agree with that statement, but it was pretty good. 

 

I used the recipe from the website Eating Bird Food at http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/09/healthy-pizza-with-a-cauliflower-crust/
I only made one adjustment and that was to add 2 Tbsp ground Flaxseed.  I was hoping it would help the dough stick together a little more and it would add some more nutrients.  Also, all the carbs in ground Flaxseed are dietary fiber, so my husband and I don't count those.  Here's the recipe, but again you can also go to their site to find more pictures.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups raw cauliflower, blended
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup mozzarella, low-sodium
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 2 Tbsp ground Flaxseed
  • Non-stick spray
Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, saute the cauliflower on low-medium until translucent.  About 8 minutes.  Let cool.  (Makes it easier to work with your hands)
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.  Add the cauliflower to the mixture.  Use your hands to really mix in the ingredients and form a ball.
  3. Cover a pizza pan with tinfoil and spray with non-stick spray.  Place the dough in the middle of the pan and slowly start to flatten into a crust shape.  (It took me awhile to really work the cauliflower into the right shape and patch up all the holes that kept forming, but it did end up working.  I pressed the dough down to about 1/4" thick and pinched the edge up so hold in the ingredients.)
  4. Bake at 400 for about 25-27 minutes or until golden.  Turn your pan at the halfway point.
  5. Top with your favorite sauce, meat, and veggies.  (Don't over do it though, because the crust is not that thick and won't be able to hold the weight.) 
  6. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  (Because you only cook it for a few minutes longer, I sauted my veggies and precooked the chicken before putting it on top of the pizza.)
It's packed with so much flavor because of the herbs and cheese, you can't even taste the cauliflower.  I couldn't at least, but I like cauliflower too.  Be daring and try this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment