Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lemon and Sage Chicken

Here's a fairly healthy and delicious way to have chichen breasts using some basic herbs from the kitchen. We already had some fresh sage that was about to turn and a ton of chicken breast, so I began searching on the internet for some yummy recipes. I found two really good ones, but didn't have all the ingredients for either of them. With not much else to do, I decided to wing it and combine the flavors together . . . and it turned out great! Definitely saving this one in my cookbook. This is what I did. I started off with these ingredients:
  • 1 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 Tbsp shallot, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 Tbsp dry white wine
  • 2 Tbsp margarine (I use Smart Balance Lite, which is dairy free)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
  • 4 chicken breasts (I used three because the ones from Sam's Club are monstrous)
  • Salt and pepper to taste In a small bowl, combine the lemon peel, sage, thyme, rosemary, garlic clove, shallot, and lemon juice. Set aside.
    In another bowl, I went ahead and combined the white wine and margarine. Set aside.
    Then, I called my husband over to help me tendorize the chicken. He stuck each piece of chicken inbetween two pieces of plastic wrap and used a rolling pin to flatten them to about 1/2 an inch. Watch how hard you hit the pieces of chicken. My husband, Dylan, got a little crazy on the first one and . . . well, it was definitely tender after he was through with it. After you are done with the chicken, heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium/high. While you are waiting for the oil to heat up, go ahead and lightly season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on both sides for about 6 minutes, or until no longer pink on the inside. Remove the chicken from the skillet and keep warm in a large dish. In the same pan, add the herbs and cook for about 3 minutes on medium. Then add the margarine and white wine. Let simmer for about 5 minutes or until the butter begins to brown. Add any juices that the cooked chicken may have leaked out. Stir occasionally.
    Return the chicken to the skillet and turn off the stove. Use a spoon to cover the chicken with the herb sauce. Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. We at this with Tabouli and beans. It was very flavorful! Hope you like it.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was pretty tasty. I wanted to take a picture of the final result on a plate, but we were so hungry and it smelled so good, I forgot . . . woops!

      Delete