Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tabouli Salad

My mother-in law and I decided to make some Tabouli a few nights ago. We got the recipe from "Moosewood Cookbook" by Mollie Katzen. I followed it pretty much exactly how it was written, while only adjusting the amount of a few ingredients. First you'll need these ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry bulgar wheat (I bought mine from a local health food store)
  • 1 1/2 cups boling water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 big tsp fresh garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)
  • 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh mint, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 large cucumber, chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • Black pepper to tasteFirst, combine the bulgar wheat, boiling water, and salt in a medium size bowl. Set aside for at least 15 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed. I just let it set until I was done chopping everything. By then, the bulgar wheat was nice and chewy.Next, mix together the lemon juice, garlic, scallions, parsley, and mint in a small bowl.

Pour in the olive oil . . . . . . and whisk together thoroughly.
By now, the wheat bulgar should be ready. Fluff the wheat bulgar so it's not sticking altogether and then stir in the olive oil mixture. Add the tomatoes and cucumbers. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. This is such a refreshing and healthy salad. It was great to have along with chicken breasts for dinner and it was even better for lunch the next day! Then, with your leftover mint, you can always make mojitos :) Here's a tip: As I was making the Tabouli Salad, I had a small bowl to collect all of my trash so I didn't make a big mess everywhere. Then, when it was time to clean up, I just had to dump the bowl out and clean off my chopping board. Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment